As dogs and cats get older, they need more attention and care. Our senior wellness program can help your pet remain as fit and healthy as they can while they age.
Routine healthcare evaluations and early detection of diseases can help your pet live a healthier life
Diagnosing diseases and certain conditions early is important throughout a pet’s lifeIt becomes even more critical when your dog or cat enters his or her senior years. The risks of arthritis, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, hormone disorders, and kidney and liver problems all increase with age.Dogs and cats may not show any signs of even serious diseases until they are quite advanced.
Senior status varies depending on the species, breed, and size
Smaller dogs tend to live longer than larger dogs, and cats generally live longer than dogs.We can help you determine what life stage your pet is in.
- Before your dog or cat reaches senior status, we recommend that you bring your pet in for a baseline exam and diagnostic workup.
- This will give us a record of what’s normal for your pet so we can keep track of any changes.
- In most cases, we suggest this checkup for when your dog turns 7 years of age or your cat turns 8 years of age. Thereafter, your senior pet will benefit from more frequent veterinary exams and diagnostic testing.
- We can treat many symptoms that are commonly attributed to age, including those associated with cognitive dysfunction syndrome (similar to Alzheimer’s in humans).
- We can also improve your pet’s quality of life in many ways:
- Identifying and preventing or reducing pain
- Recommending an appropriate nutrition and exercise plan
- Suggesting environmental modifications to keep your pet comfortable.
We will tailor a senior wellness plan to your pet’s individual needs. If you have any questions, we would be happy to discuss our senior wellness program in more detail. Call us today to schedule your pet’s exam!